I have been online and reading some really inspiring comments about fathers. As I look back in my own personal life I see how I never looked forward to Father’s Day. It meant nothing to me. Father’s Day has been a harsh reminder of what I didn’t have.
– My father was a drunk and very abusive
– I don’t remember a time in my childhood when my father gave me a hug
– I don’t remember if my father ever encouraged me in anything
– I can’t remember if he ever told me he loved me. And because of that I don’t remember a time telling him I love him.
– I lived in fear of my dad for a big chunk of my life.
This is the kind of relationship I had with my dad. As I grew older I distanced my self from him. I never spoke to him because I was very bitter towards him. It was bad. But about a year ago after persistent prodding from the Holy Spirit I made a decision to pursue a relationship with my dad. Last year was a year of firsts for me.
– I told my dad I loved him and he told me he loved me.
-We had our first conversation about life. It was actually about God and he gave his life to Christ. 🙂
– I sort of hugged my dad for the first time as far as I can remember!
– I started talking to my dad a lot more
– The bitterness and anger I had for my dad finally left last year.
I am not saying it’s easy and we are the best of friends but our relationship is a work in progress which is getting better all thanks to God.
But the truth is I am just one example in a very big big pool. There are a lot more stories of fatherless children! And a lot of the stories don’t have an ending like mine. A lot of the endings are tragic and sad. Just look at these stats
What is the conclusion then?
As a young man I am thinking about the future. I don’t want to be a dad that is not there for his kids.
You may have had a bad example or NO example at all but that doesn’t have to be your story!!! You can be different. You can the dad that can make a difference in your family’s life. Don’t be discouraged you had a bad example. By God’s grace you will be the difference. If you are depressed and discouraged today please know there is hope for you! God has a plan for you and your family. He is going to use you to bring up your kids in the way of The Lord. Isn’t that exciting…….I am excited!!!!
Happy Fathers Day.